My not wanting my diet to suffer just because of my lifestyle inspired my healthy food Brand - Founder The Detox Deli

By Kemi Mobuse - Monday, June 27, 2016


A few of my friends and colleagues have always found out that, their work day schedule can get so hectic that they either have no time to eat, or they only have time for something quick at their desk (meaning pizza, pastries, sugar drinks..what have you). Add on top of this, being stuck sitting in one chair for most of the day, and it's no wonder that the pounds creep in and they end up gaining weight.

What can be done, you ask? Well, that’s why The Detox Deli came into being, to cater to all your health and nutritional needs and provide you with an easy to fix meal on the go.

KMB had an exclusive with the multi talented brand Founder, who also happens to be a lawyer and a fashion designer to boot……Excerpts from the interview below…


KMB: Can we meet you? What do you do?
 
The Detox Deli: I'm Joan Abebe. I am a Marketing & Communications Executive for a law firm by day, a fashion designer & founder of a health foods brand by night.

KMB: KMB: What is the detox deli about?

The Detox Deli: At The Detox Deli we produce natural almond butter, cashew butters and raw snacks all homemade in Lagos, Nigeria. We use unrefined ingredients, no artificial sweeteners and local superfoods to create delicious, nourishing products that are good for your health.

KMB: What inspired you starting this business?


The Detox Deli: I have always been interested in health and how nutrition directly impacts our wellbeing, but the inspiration to start my brand came when I moved back to Nigeria. I was at a new job, shuffling a million and one things at the same time, and I realized that I didn't want my diet to suffer because of my new lifestyle. I also realized that there was a real need to educate my friends and family about how important the food we nourish our bodies with is, and how simple it is to eat healthy on the go. I couldn't easily find the healthy meals and snacks that I was used to having, so I started making my own snacks and nut butters (one of favourite things!) in my kitchen at home. The positive reaction from my friends and family to everything that I made encouraged me to start thinking about turning my passion into a business. Finally, I've never believed that you should have to sacrifice taste for nutrition and I guess I wanted to prove to others that it's possible to enjoy food, eat well and take care of your body!

KMB: How was starting up for you, capital wise?

The Detox Deli: I started small and I think that's key when starting a new business in any field. Any sales I made went right back into the business in order to be able to purchase more raw materials for our products. Having a long term vision is crucial as it provides a road map to where you want your business to go, but I think starting small and using local resources as much as possible helps to soften the blow of capital investment during the early stages.

KMB: How old is the brand now and how has the market reception been?
 
The Detox Deli: We are a few months old and still in the early stages of introducing our products to the market but the reception so far has been great and we've recently secured our first stockist. I'm really excited to see what happens next!
 
KMB: What major challenges have you had to deal with since inception?
 
The Detox Deli: No major challenges so far, but delays whilst sourcing for production materials can get a little frustrating at times. However as with any new business, these teething issues are to be expected and we've been able to deal with them on a day to day basis.
 
KMB: How were you able to combine being an executive with being a fashion designer and at the same time, being a CEO of your health food brand?
 
The Detox Deli: I live by the saying "choose a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life". I love what I do so I never really feel overwhelmed. I think my approach to my health and wellbeing also helps me juggle my various endeavours. Having a diet full of whole, nutritious foods and making sure I'm active during each week, gives me energy to fuel my "do-it-all" lifestyle. I also have a great support system from my family which definitely helps me to keep everything balanced!
 


KMB: What benefits can someone patronizing your brand hope to get Health wise?

The Detox Deli: Nuts are fantastic for our health! We use cashews and almonds in our nut butters instead of peanuts because almonds contains 26% more vitamin E, 3% more iron, and 7% more calcium than peanuts which are important for maintaining strong bones. The vitamin E content in almonds can also help to improve the condition and appearance of your skin. A quarter-cup serving of almonds provides 7.6 grams of protein—more than a large egg, which contains 6 grams - and will therefore keep you fuller for longer. Cashews are jam packed with antioxidants and heart protective monounsaturated fats. They're also rich in the mineral magnesium, which is thought to improve recall and delay age-related memory loss. Free from sugars, chemicals and other unnecessary ingredients, our nut butters are delicious, healthy, and provide natural energy to ensure you glow from the inside out!

KMB: Where do you see detox deli in say 5 years?

The Detox Deli: In 5 years, we would like to have expanded our product range and be the go to destination for plant-based vegan health foods.
 
KMB: Any advice for future entrepreneurs?

The Detox Deli: Absolutely. Always go with your gut, ask questions and never take no for an answer!

KMB: Lastly, how can you be contacted?
 

The Detox Deli: Email: joan@thedetoxdeli.com
Instagram: @thedetoxdeli
Twitter: @thedetoxdeli

More pictures below;










  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments