I was dragged into the Makeup business kicking and screaming (in a good way)! - Male Pro Makeup Artist Kingsley Gabriel

By Kemi Mobuse - Thursday, June 16, 2016

We know that the majority of our beauty-lovers are female, but you don't have to be a woman to enjoy the world of makeup. In fact, some men have mastered applying it way beyond many ladies' level of expertise. But don't hate — get educated! 

For the CEO of BRUSHES OF ZENIBA, being a makeup artist is everything he craves for, and he is not afraid to say; He is living his dream.

In his interview with KMB, excerpts below; he dishes on how he manages to survive in a world widely populated by women...read below...

KMB: Can we meet you?

Brushes Of zeniba: My name is Kingsley Gabriel, head makeup artist for BRUSHESOFZENIBA

KMB: What do you do?

Brushes Of zeniba: I am a professional makeup artist

KMB: Can you pinpoint the exact moment you decided to become a makeup artist?

Brushes Of zeniba: I am not sure if this figure is right but I think it's something in August 2013
 
KMB: Why this choice of profession in particular?
 
Brushes Of zeniba: A friend of mine actually forced me to become a makeup artist. I was dragged into it kicking and screaming (in a good way)!



KMB: as a male, weren’t you feeling daunted entering into a field, dominated by women?
 
Brushes Of zeniba: Not at all, I grew up amidst guys but in school I related easily with the opposite sex. We got so many male guys going into female dominated fields where I live so, it was more like a regular thing .thanks to my mom, and she made every process easy as she was my go to person to practice on.
 
KMB: What is the name of your brand and how old is it?

Brushes Of zeniba: The name of my brand is BRUSHESOFZENIBA n it's 1 year old.
 
KMB: How has the market reception been?
 
Brushes Of zeniba: The market has been favorable with dozens of clients craving our exquisite services.
 


KMB: How did you start out becoming a makeup artist capital wise, were you self taught or went to a makeup school?
 
Brushes Of zeniba: I started very small, buying stuffs one after the other while I was training and before I knew it, there was no space for more makeup in my box. I didn't start with a bulk load of money running to the market.
Yeah I trained but, I didn't attend like an official makeup school. I learnt from a freelance makeup artist first, and then I started attending seminars and reached out to some famous makeup artists, who were all welcoming and ready to teach me. I did one on one class with them and took some online classes as well.
I just saw myself being thirsty for the art. Infact, my friends always drag me out of a makeup store because I'm always ready to buy all their products. 🙈
 
KMB: Haha! Any major challenges since starting out?
 
Brushes Of zeniba: Yeah, the biggest challenge of my career so far would be customers not appreciating my skills. Secondly , the rate at which dollar is skyrocketing is seriously affecting me in terms of purchasing products  which we now buy three times the amount we used to buy .
 


KMB: What is your favourite part of being a makeup artist?
 
Brushes Of zeniba: For me, it’s usually that moment, once I finish applying the makeup on a client, and hand them a Mirror to look at themselves , their reaction is always priceless - some scream , some smile some even cry an exclaiming that they have never looked that beautiful . I also like the fact that I maintain a relationship with my clients even after the job

KMB: Any advice for upcoming entrepreneurs?
 
Brushes Of zeniba: I'll advise them to keep doing whatever they are doing, love what you do, be thirsty for it as the day grows  because hard work n consistency pays.

KMB: Lastly, how can you be contacted?
 
Brushes Of zeniba: We can be reached through our Social media platforms @brushesofzeniba (Instagram , Twitter and also our Facebook page)
Whatsapp: 08179970551
Call 09034381522
Email:brushesofzeniba@gmail.com

 






























  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments