My friend gave me the capital with which I started my business on my 25th Birthday - CEO Andies Candies

By Kemi Mobuse - Friday, June 03, 2016



Sometimes, I'm seriously dismayed when people think I'm 15. Hian! Surely, my sophistication and posh composure shines through to emphasize the fact that; I'm a mature 30-something (deep Sigh).

Well, maybe not.. Sha! because, on coming across Andies Candies page right here on Instagram,I dissolved into a small screaming fit of delight, and had to be restrained a tad to stop me from running straight to the shop and stuffing my little face. 

Their entire page had tons of pictures; all of candies; even pictures of their store  stacked up to the ceiling with old-fashioned tubs of sweets, and many imaginable delights. There were also novelties such as marshmallow lollies and sweetie gifts. 


I however cautioned myself, to be able to think straight enough, about why i came across the page in the first instance. After much efforts, I finally cajoled the CEO to grant me my much needed interview and it is certainly an eye opener.....Read below;


Kemi Mobuse blog: Can we meet you? What do you do?

Andies Candies: My name is Andidiong Okon and I run a company called Andies Candies

Kemi Mobuse blog: What inspired your going into this field in particular?

Andies Candies: I've always loved candy as a child and a friend suggested that I do something with that passion. And that's how, I was given money by another friend and went ahead and registered the company on my 25th birthday.
 
Kemi Mobuse blog: What is the name of your brand and how old is it?
 
Andies Candies: The name of my brand is Andies Candies and launched it in 2013
 
Kemi Mobuse blog: How has the market reception been since inception?


Andies Candies: The business started small. I was working from home and had the support of my family. At the time, candy was a new idea so people were open minded about it since it was a new approach to candy. I was able to sell candy as being not just for children but grownups too!

Kemi Mobuse blog: How was starting out for you capital wise?

Andies Candies: I started the business with a little of my own money and contribution from my family. Prior to the commencement of the business, I had applied for the YouWiN grant and a few months into launching the business I was awarded the grant. The grant helped move the business from underneath my parent's staircase to our first store in Wuse 2 and back office in Jabi.

Kemi Mobuse blog: What major challenges have you experienced since inception, how did you overcome and what can you say, those challenges taught you?


Andies Candies: The major challenge is the importation of our products and equipment from abroad. Shipping has literally been a nightmare but that's the beauty of challenges; they birth innovation. These challenges pushed us to working on the production of our own confectionery which is on-going. I have also learnt to keep pressing forward; obstacles are proof that you are headed in the right direction.

Kemi Mobuse blog: What exactly is Andies Candies about?

Andies Candies: Andies Candies is a confectionery brand that specializes in the retail and production of sweet treats. We also provide candy buffet services for all of life's many celebrations as well as for corporate/formal occasions. Our goal is to become the foremost indigenous confectionery company in Nigeria.
 
Kemi Mobuse blog: What can you say being an entrepreneur has taught you?


Andies Candies: Your dreams are yours and it is up to you to make them come true.

Kemi Mobuse blog: What will people be surprised to learn about you?

Andies Candies: That I've lost only 2 teeth to my love for candy. Haha. Hopefully, there'll be no other losses
 
Kemi Mobuse blog: Any advice for future entrepreneurs?

Andies Candies: Believe in the beauty of your dreams. Use all the colours within your reach to paint your dreams into your reality. Don't give up. Strive.
 
Kemi Mobuse blog: Lastly, how can you be contacted?
 

Andies Candies: We are available at www.andiescandies.com.ng
Twitter: @andiescandiesng
Instagram: @andiescandiesng
Facebook: www.Facebook.com/andiescandiesng
Google plus: +Andies Candies
Store address: 3 Bangui street, off Adetokunbo Ademola crescent, Wuse 2, Abuja

More pictures below;







































  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments