I came in contact with photography while I was in the secondary school - Ace Photographer & CEO Photokulture

By Kemi Mobuse - Monday, June 06, 2016


Nothing best defined photography for me, more than this Quote from Ansel Adams;

“You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” 
― Ansel Adams


When I came across the work of talented and Ace photographer Photokulture on Instagram, I was awed,and I loved every single one of them. His pictures seems to speak out with lives of their own. And curiosity about how , he went into the profession, made me chase him down for an exclusive and trust me, i got lucky once again, lol!

Read excerpts from his exclusive below;


Kemi Mobuse blog: Can we meet you?

Photo Kulture: Ok my name is Mene Timi Steve from Delta State. The 2nd child of seven children.

Kemi Mobuse blog: What do you feel do?
 
Photo Kulture: I'm a full time beauty/fashion/wedding photographer
 
Kemi Mobuse blog: What inspired your going photography especially?
 
Photo Kulture: I came in contact with photography while I was in the secondary school, I was just using it then, to take pictures of things happening around.
 


Kemi Mobuse blog: When did you decide it was time to make a profession of it?
 
Photo Kulture: It became more interesting for me, when my friends asked me to take their pictures and followed me to the lab for the print outs.
In 2012, when I was done with school; I started working in a branding company called  "Citi Connect". One day, a Client approached me and asked if I knew how to take pictures, I reluctantly replied yes because, I was not sure the kind of picture he was referring to.
He then went on to say that; one of his client is opening a photo-studio and if I’m interested he will introduce me to her.
 
Kemi Mobuse blog: So, how did that turn out?
 
Photo Kulture: I went home and thought about it. Since, I was already getting bored with my job, I decided there and then, to go for it. SO, I called and told him I was interested. Long story short, I was called in and interviewed, although; the woman knew I was a novice but, on seeing the passion and love I have for photography, she called me the following day and told me she has contacted someone to teach and put me through studio photography. That was how I started
I worked for her for 2 years and started my own brand after.


Kemi Mobuse blog: What is the name of your brand and how old is it?

Photo Kulture: The name of my photography outfit is called Photokulture and its 2 years plus now.

Kemi Mobuse blog: How was starting out for you, capital wise?
 
Photo Kulture: When I wanted to start , a Good Samaritan by the name of Mr. Paul assisted me in getting a location for my studio and I was able to buy an entry level camera (Nikon D90) to start with.


Kemi Mobuse blog: What inspired the choice of name?
 
Photo Kulture: What inspired the name was how I see life to be... My belief is that; everything you do in life is a life style and this life style eventually becomes your Culture. So, photography for me...although it’s a profession, it's also a life style and it has become a culture for me as well.


Kemi Mobuse blog: What major challenges have you had to deal with since inception, more importantly, what did those challenges teach you?
 
Photo Kulture: Walking down this lane has been challenging! In Nigeria as a nation, So many people don't appreciate photography as a profession; they just feel it’s for people who are looking for a means of survival.
You get discriminated against; for instance, a client giving you an appointed time. You get there; only to discover that, the actual time for the shoot is 2 hrs later, so you sit and wait it out.
In another scenario, you send your price quote to a client and you get back some annoying comments, like "what nonsense quote did you just send to me"?


But in all, It has taught me to be very patient and polite, irrespective of who's at fault and to always know that, you can't actually work for everyone. Those who appreciate your work will pay for your services and pay well too.

Kemi Mobuse blog: What can you say is your favourite part about being a photographer?
 
Photo Kulture: My favorite part about being a photographer is'; the fact that, I'm doing what make me feel fulfilled and at the same time. It’s what pays my bills.
 
Kemi Mobuse blog: Any advice for upcoming entrepreneurs?
 
Photo Kulture: My advice to upcoming photographers is; be at your best at every point regardless of the challenges and also, know that; knowledge is key so don't despise it... Always learn to be open to new ideas and perfect your skills... Soon People will chase after you.
 
Kemi Mobuse blog: Lastly, how can you be contacted?
 
Photo Kulture: IG handle @photokulture
mobile: 08037082159
email:photokulture@yahoo.com
our studio: Suite E213 Ikota shopping complex Lekki-Ajah, Lagos.

More Pictures below;









































 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments