Despite the lack of support from family, I chose to follow my Passion which is now my profession - Male Prof. MUA Makeupbyrinze

By Kemi Mobuse - Tuesday, June 28, 2016



Following your passion I have learnt, is not always smooth sailing, because, it can be really hard at times, to see people who will understand your dream and envision you fulfilling them. And if you are privileged and lucky to someone who does understand, there is no guarantee that, they will be there to help you pick up the pieces when things got hard or it all fall apart. 

For me, as a person, I have been gifted with wonderful families and Friends despite that fact that, some of them have no idea, why I am doing what I do. Coming across Charles Arinze on Instagram, there was something about his work that really stood out and being a male prof MUA, I was curious to know how he started out in this field and how he has been faring.

He shared his story with us via an exclusive with KMB and i brought excepts for your reading pleasure ... 


KMB: Can we meet you?

Makeup By Rinze: Ma name is Charles Arinze Chukwu Rahim

KMB: What do you do?
 
Makeup By Rinze: I’m a makeup artist and an amateur photographer.
 
KMB: How did you get your start in the makeup industry?
 
Makeup By Rinze: I started first with using my mum (who is of Fulani pedigree) and my sister’s face to try out looks and all that but, the love for makeup was genuinely sparked in me  when I got a closer look at the makeup on some runway models.
But you know, typically, following your passion in an African setting is always marred sometimes by the parents, it was really hard starting out. I actually experienced a lot of opposition, till I decided to just take a firm stand.
One day, I decided I have had enough; I took my savings and went to acquire a few makeup items. Even though, I was still in the university studying a foreign language infact, I still made sure, I had room to follow my passion, thank God for willing friends who don’t mind being by models.
I had little savings n was hopping from one beauty shop to another
 


KMB: What is the name of your brand and how old is it?

Makeup By Rinze: Makeupbyrinze and its officially 4yrs now.
 
KMB: How has the market reception been, you being a "male” makeup artist?
 
Makeup By Rinze: The reception has been truly amazing, because I have a kind of unique approach I use for my clients. Also, some women tend to loosen up more with male beauticians as opposed to ladies.
Although, there are times when the current economic situation affects us, in terms of getting products, but it’s all good inspite.
 
KMB: What do you love most about your job?
 
Makeup By Rinze: I love the feeling of fulfillment I see on my clients face and getting good recommendations from them.
KMB: Who are some of the people that have inspired you throughout your career?
 
Makeup By Rinze: A lot, but I will start off with my mum because of her gifted facial features, my clients who appreciates my work and the  aspiring makeup artists whom I tutor and who also inspire me to do better.


KMB: If a client asks for a style that you are sure would not suit them, how do you convince them to go the other way?
 
Makeup By Rinze: Ok, when clients call to book me, or come over to my studio, as I am conversing with them, I get an idea of the perfect look that will surely befit them, I Could get inspired just by looking at their facial features (brows or cheeks),
I will then ask questions to know the colors of their outfit so as to get an idea, how to bring the whole look to life.
Also, age bracket is important too, you just can't have an elderly person around 60, 70 years of age wearing vibrant colors on their eyes.
 
KMB: What major challenges have you had to deal with?
 
Makeup By Rinze: I have unfortunately come across some women who are apprehensive of male makeup artists touching them.
 
KMB: What can you say is your favourite part of being a makeup artist?
 
Makeup By Rinze: The fulfillment I get from it. It makes me really glad that, I chose to follow my passion which is now my profession.
 

KMB: Given a chance to start over, anything you wished to have done differently?
 
Makeup By Rinze: Given a chance again, I have nothing to Redo.
 
KMB: Any advice for upcoming entrepreneurs?
 
Makeup By Rinze: My advice to upcoming entrepreneurs will be; go after your passion, don't be deceived by external forces around, upgrade your skill too, trust in God and carve a niche for yourself... Don't just follow the crowd.

KMB: Lastly, how can you be contacted?
 

Makeup By Rinze: Call/Whatsapp: 08063797520,09023221550
instagram account: @makeupbyrinze

More pictures below;































 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments