I majored in Sustainable Architectural Designs, but i now practice Fashion Designing albeit with indigenous African materials - CEO Zuhri Concepts

By Kemi Mobuse - Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Sneakers made from aso oke

It is not an easy feat, in my opinion to graduate as an architect, then proceed for a masters degree and then major again in the same field, I for one believe, that should  qualify me for a seat at the table of renowned architects in Nigeria, possibly worldwide! lol! 


That is why, i see the CEO of Zuhri Concepts as an interesting, talented and strong lady. She is a wise one, who did not allow her knowledge of architecture to go to waste, she instead took it and applied it into her business, while making use of indigenous African materials and that is one of the reasons, i believe she is a success at what she does.

Read more about her interview with KMB below: 


Kemi Mobuse blog: Can we meet you? 
Zuhri: Yes, I’m Zuhri Olubunmi Ajibola
 
Kemi Mobuse blog: What do you do? 
Zuhri: I am the CEO and MD of Zuhri Concept Designs Limited mostly called Zuhri Concept. We are an Eco-friendly Lifestyle Brand. We produce Eco-friendly products like Footwears, Bags and Souvenir items using indigenous african materials like Ankara, tie and dye, batik, aso oke etc
 
Kemi Mobuse blog: Zuhri is from your name, right? 
Zuhri: Yes Zuhri is from my name.
 
Kemi Mobuse blog: What inspired you going into this business?
 
Zuhri: The inspiration for the business emanated from two things in my life; the first is my educational background which is in Architecture and I specialized in Eco-friendly or Sustainable Architecture during my masters program.  
The second is my feet size. I had a lot of problems finding shoes especially in Nigeria because my feet size is 39 in length and 37 in width.
The inspiration therefore; came when I decided to make slippers for myself using materials that are indigenous to Nigeria.
After I made it and my friends and families saw it, the demand started coming.
I have been working on meeting the demands ever since.
 

Kemi Mobuse blog: What is the name of your brand and how old is it now? 
Zuhri: The name of my brand is Zuhri Concept but we mostly printed Zuhri on our products.I started 2014, that means it 2years now.
 
Kemi Mobuse blog: What major challenges have you experienced that almost made you give up? 
Zuhri: There are a lot of challenges in business but before I started officially I had made up my mind to never give up; that, challenges will come but they are there to help me learn more and grow.
With that outlook, I’ve been able to be calm enough to think through a problem or challenge.
 
Kemi Mobuse blog: What can you say is the favourite part of what you do?
Zuhri: Holding the prototype of an idea or design we created in my hands,
That always makes me feel like a kid in a candy store
 


Kemi Mobuse blog: HahaZuhri: The favourite part of what I do is the design of a product to the prototype
 
Kemi Mobuse blog: Do you draw your designs yourself? 
Zuhri: Yes i do. Designing a new product or redesigning and existing one.
 
Kemi Mobuse blog: Where do you get your inspiration from? 
Zuhri: I get inspiration from the materials themselves and from talking to a customer. Customers give me an idea of how they will like their product to be and I bring it to life, I use the same principles I used while designing building for clients to designing footwear, bags and souvenirs for them now
 
Kemi Mobuse blog: Where do you see your brand in 5 years? 
Zuhri: I see it as a glocal product. Glocal means global but still local. I see my brand in main stream international stores and in stores in Nigeria
 
Kemi Mobuse blog: What advice can you give to upcoming entrepreneurs? 
Zuhri: Before you go into business; first find your passion, purpose and vision.
Quite a lot of entrepreneurs goes into a business because they see someone making money from the business without finding out if it’s their passion or purpose in life, they then start a business and when the challenges comes they give up mid way and start another one later
 
I have learnt that, One thing to always expect in business is challenges. Solving those challenges is what makes you an entrepreneur.
 
We are solution providers, whenever a challenge comes ....roll your sleeves and provide solutions. That is why you will get paid.
 


Kemi Mobuse blog: Lastly, how can you be contacted? 

Zuhri: Call: 08176971229  or 08189785255
Facebook: www.facebook.com/zuhri
Instagram : @zuhri_concept
Website: www.zuhriconcept.com
Twitter: @zuhriconcept

More pictures below:
























































 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Love the sneakers amongst all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The UK Business Forums (http://sustainablebusinessforum.com/) are the largest and most active forums relating to UK Business, and having been established since February 2003 they are also amongst the most established.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All her works are commendable, we are proud of you. Keep soaring dear

    ReplyDelete