Making Yummy, Dessert-Like soap is what I do; the Garri Scrub, so named because; It is made from Garri is my Favourite!..... - CEO Bath Kandy

By Kemi Mobuse - Wednesday, May 18, 2016



I have to admit something… I love soaps that look like things other than soap. Like food or flowers or animals or toys.   I’ve seen soap shaped as fruit or cupcakes. It’s so cute and clever and yeah, a little corny, but I like corny.  I have especially always loved all kinds of food, but I have a special weakness for sweets. I even love pictures of food. And since I have a wicked sweet tooth, I especially love colorful, gorgeous desserts.  I love them SO much that I could almost marry a Dessert cake or a chocolate éclair!  Although I’m not sure I could stay faithful. . So, you can imagine my reaction, when I came across Bathkandy's page on Instagram; I fell in Love hard and started pursuing the poor woman.

I see, she too loved being pursued, Lol! Cuz she granted an enlightening interview to KMB, dishing out details about her brand and yummy products...Go check it out yourself ,C'mon!


KMB:  Can we meet you? What do you do?

BathKandy Co.: My name is Blondie Okpuzor and I am the owner and head cosmetologist at BathKandy Co. which is a handcrafted, food inspired, bath and Body Company.

KMB:  What inspired your venturing into soap production?

BathKandy Co.:  Actually, I do a lot more than make soaps but a few years ago; I found out that, I became allergic to a lot of things...even the soaps and creams I had used for years. So I started mixing up my products to identify what I was allergic to. And the business grew from there

KMB:  What especially led to you going in another direction from the norm with your designs?


BathKandy Co.:  I love natural products but they do have a reputation to be boring...so I decided to infuse my love for food especially desserts to create custom pieces that look and smell like the desserts I love! Everyone loves pretty things and I don't know anyone who doesn't love food.

KMB:  How old is your brand now and how has the market reception been?

BathKandy Co.:  My brand is 17 months old =-d and the reception have been amazing! It still tickles me when people try to eat them because they do not believe that, they are not edible. You know people will always do what you tell them not to do

KMB:  : Lmaoooo! I was tempted to eat the ones I saw on my phone screen too, I certainly don't blame them

BathKandy Co.:  We always have to keep a close eye on people who walk into our store because even the displays look exactly like real food


KMB: How do you come up with your designs, where does your inspiration come from?

BathKandy Co.:  I am inspired primarily by food, colors and textures.

KMB:  What major challenges have you experienced since inception? How did you overcome, more importantly, what did you learn from them?

BathKandy Co.:  Major challenges would be: initially, I had to import almost everything...now, I'm able to source majority of my ingredients locally
Constant research and innovation and asking questions has helped me. I also found out that, I had to innovate and empower my suppliers to make my life easier

KMB:  What can you say is your favourite product and why?

BathKandy Co.:  Haaa...asking me that; is like asking me which of my children is my favourite!
I love them all...but I have to say, my Luminous Exfoliating Bar which is actually called the Garri Scrub by my customers is at the top of my list...alongside my Goat Milk Lotion. They both smell amazing and came about accidentally...I say God was directing me

KMB:  Why the name Garri Scrub? Is it made of Garri?

BathKandy Co.: Lol yup! Because it’s a scrub made with garri

KMB:  Haha! You sure are one innovative woman!
 
KMB:  Why use Garri? Is there a special function it performs for the body?

BathKandy Co.: Yeah! It acts as an exfoliant, but it also has properties that contribute to making your skin glow.

KMB:  What is a typical day in the life of Bath Kandy’s  CEO?

BathKandy Co.:  Hehe well I wake up, I pray, get ready for the day; go to mass then head to work. It is always a whirlwind of activities at BathKandy...emails, customer enquiries, custom orders, meetings...we are  extremely customer focused so we spend a good amount of time ensuring that the customer’s  experience both at our store, online and our outlets are second to none. Aside from administrative stuff, i do a lot of experiments. ...some good and others horrible....lol

KMB:  And what inspired the name "bath Kandy"?

BathKandy Co.:  Its simple...my products are Kandy, sweet, edible treats for BathTime...hence; BathKandy. Well not edible, but they paint a picture of delicious treats.

KMB:  Where do you see bath Kandy in say 5 years?


BathKandy Co.:   I see us as a major player in Nigeria's export market...i also see us empowering women across Africa to believe and invest in themselves.

KMB:  What can you say is your favourite part of what you do and the most stressful part?

BathKandy Co.:  My favorite part is researching, creating recipes and bringing my ideas to life. The most stressful part would have to be the more mundane everyday tasks that need to be done

KMB:  Any advice for upcoming entrepreneurs?

BathKandy Co.:  Advice- trust in God, your journey and revel in the process. Success is that much sweeter when there are battle scars to show for it.

KMB:  Lastly. How can you be contacted?

BathKandy Co.:  We can be contacted via our website, www.bathkandy.com 
Email to team@bathkandy.com.
IG: bathkandy


More mouthwatering pictures below;









































  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Wow! Delicious looking soaps. This is creativity at its peak!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please dont take a child near any of those "body snacks

    ReplyDelete