Being broke and angry was the Major Inspiration behind me starting my brand - CEO Ms Mayrie

By Kemi Mobuse - Wednesday, May 18, 2016

 
 Thinking back to our lives as students, I am pretty sure, many of us, can relate to being broke at one point or the other. I for one can certainly relate.Back then, at the beginning of every semester, my room was always almost filled to overflowing with food. Infact, on my way back from the market, I was always proud and happy at how big and heavy, my Ghana must go bag was.

I was pretty sure in my mind that, I have always bought enough food to last me for a year, and I can then focus, on spending the rest of my pocket money on adorning myself, with trendy Clothes. Unfortunately for me, however, Like a month and a half into the semester, my food stock would have been depleted so much, that, I always fear to even cast a glance at my cupboard.  Being rich back then means, you have milk, sugar, and groundnut, to wash down your Garri , while being broke, means its just Garri and Sugar. 

If only being broke then, has inspired me more, I bet, I would have opened a mega store by now, Lol!
I applaud the courage of Ms Abioye Bimbo, who despite being a Doctor, still has time to pursue her passion. Her Interview with KMB, is certainly, an eye opener read below:


Kemi Mobuse blog: Can we meet you?

Ms Mayrie: I’m Abioye Bimbo by name and the creative director of Mayrie26

Kemi Mobuse blog: What do you do?

Ms Mayrie: I make menswear accessories

Kemi Mobuse blog: What inspired your venturing into this field?
 
Ms Mayrie: I'll say being broke inspired it at first to be very honest. I remember sometime in 2012 my roommate and I just said a little prayer to God, that, we never wanted to be broke again. Boy, were we broke!
And then, I forgot I prayed and went about my daily life. I think few weeks later I went to a mall to get some stuff with one of my friends, while there, we sighted some pretty hair bows and of course we rushed into the store because, we couldn't wait to lay our hands on them, well to cut the long story short we came out sad because the bows were too expensive and I was BROKE, while we were walking out of that store, I kept ranting to my friend about how ridiculously expensive the bow was and I told her I was gonna make mine.
 


Kemi Mobuse blog: Awwww and did you?

Ms Mayrie: I went to a craft store; I got some ribbons and yes! I made mine. A friend of mine saw them and wanted me to make some for her but with fabrics this time. I made them and she really loved them.

Kemi Mobuse blog: What is the name of your brand?

Ms Mayrie: The name of my brand is Mayrie26.

Kemi Mobuse blog: And what inspired the choice of Name?


Ms Mayrie: My name is Mary (I changed the spelling) and 26 is my best number

Kemi Mobuse blog: How old is your brand and how has the market reception been from inception till now?
 
Ms Mayrie: It’s 3years old. Hmmm, the market reception has been good actually

Kemi Mobuse blog: What major challenges have you had to deal with?

Ms Mayrie: Challenges..... Hmmmm!!! Let's see.... Firstly, I'll say it electricity because a lot of ironing goes into what I do. Well, having a generator sort of replaces that but, you'll agree with me that the price of fuel is not bearable these days
Secondly; breaking into the fashion industry. Whew! It hasn’t been easy but we are getting there 😄
 
Kemi Mobuse blog: I read on your page, that you are also a DR is that right?
Ms Mayrie: Yes, Very right

Kemi Mobuse blog: How do you combine that, with your business?
 
Ms Mayrie: 😄Maybe that should have been the number 1 on the major challenges. Lol
Well, I try to combine it but to be honest with you it’s not been rosy.
I do hope, however, that; as the picture gets clearer major life changing decisions will have to be made. I'm not particularly sure what those decisions are but they will be made at the right time.😀
 

Kemi Mobuse blog: What in your words, is your favourite part of what you do, as a designer?
 
Ms Mayrie: Oh the bowties.... Wow! The creativity in that area is endless
Plus conversing with my clients, I love love it. It’s a whole new world entirely. Especially when designing accessories for a wedding.
 
Kemi Mobuse blog: And the most stressful aspect of it?

Ms Mayrie: Most Stressful part will be the emergency orders, that means staying awake all night just to deliver the best to my clients

Kemi Mobuse blog: If your brand is not in fashion designing, what would you do?
 
Ms Mayrie: Motivational speaking maybe.

Kemi Mobuse blog: What has been an entrepreneur taught you?
 
Ms Mayrie: Being an entrepreneur has opened my mind to great things, it is more than selling to customers; it is an experience, so you have to continually  work on yourself to stay in the market
 
Kemi Mobuse blog: What will people be surprised to learn about you?
 
Ms Mayrie: Hmmm.... I dance but only very few people know about that.
 
Kemi Mobuse blog: Words to live by....?
 
Ms Mayrie: Make God your first and go hard for whatever it is you want from life and you'll get it.
 


Kemi Mobuse blog: What do you hope to achieve with your brand in say 5 years?
 
Ms Mayrie: To have my own stores in major cities in Nigeria
 
Kemi Mobuse blog: Any advice for upcoming entrepreneurs?
 
Ms Mayrie: It'll be hard at first and it'll get better as long as you are diligent at it
 
Kemi Mobuse blog: Lastly, how can you be contacted?
 

Ms Mayrie: Phone number- 08053516051/09039591534
Whatsapp- 08053516051
Instagram- ms_mayrie
Email- mayrie_26 @yahoo.com
Facebook- Mayrie26
Bbm- 5C02D466

More pictures below:













  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments