At A Young age, I used To rip apart my Okirika Clothes & turn them Into Fashionable Clothings

By Kemi Mobuse - Tuesday, May 31, 2016


It takes a really creative mind, to identify their God given talent from a very young age despite your background or circumstances surrounding You. The CEO of Dunskani Designs can be really defined as a Creative minded and passionate entrepreneur, who didn't allow her humble background to hold her back, Infact, it was quiet the opposite, it brought out her creativity and made her more determined to make a name for herself in the fashion world, and from what I see, she is already a Success and a soon to be sensation worldwide.

In the exclusive she had with KMB, she chronicled her journey as a fashion designer, challenges experienced and more....Excerpts below:
Kemi Mobuse blog: Can we meet you?

Dunskani Designs: My name is Omolara Kowoti

Kemi Mobuse blog: What do you do?
 
Dunskani Designs: I am fashion designer
 
Kemi Mobuse blog: Can you pinpoint the exact moment you decided you wanted to go into fashion designing?

Dunskani Designs: 2011. I was working with O'Naphtali....A printing firm in Gbagada as a client service. ....I just got tired and bored because I do the same thing every day for 4 years..... No fulfillment! I decided to compare the pay and my future and I realized they are not matching. I then decided that; if I need to change what the future holds for me then, I needed to change the present situation.

I decided there and then, that; I need to do something else to secure my future. I looked at so many options but, I didn't search far as beautifying generally takes the lead, after much thought....I decided fashion it is.

Kemi Mobuse blog: And why fashion designing in particular?

Dunskani Designs: Why fashion in particular is that; looking back over the years....I came from A VERY HUMBLE background and my parents couldn't afford new clothes, so, they will buy us 'used clothes’(Okirika Clothes), I used to rip the clothes apart and transform it. My parent would question the new outfit, leading to me explaining what I did.....That's just a peep into my growing up to explain why I chose fashion. The passion has been there.  After much thought....I decided fashion it is.

I didn’t want to go to a road side tailor to learn because, I believe that; What is what doing at all is what doing well. So, I researched for good fashion schools in Nigeria since I couldn't afford a fashion school abroad. I saved 60% of my salary, every month for a year then I resigned in December 2012 to start attending fashion school January 2013
 
Kemi Mobuse blog: What is the name of your brand and how old is it now?
 
Dunskani Designs: Dunskani Designs its 2 and half years now
 
Kemi Mobuse blog: How has the market reception been so far?
 
Dunskani Designs: The market for me has been wonderful
I started getting clients since I was in fashion school. My belief is that; a closed mouth is a closed destiny......I started telling people I know that, I now make clothes....That; I’m a designer even though, I was just like 4 months old in fashion school.
It was therefore not surprising that, I started getting jobs even before I left fashion school.
Although, I complete jobs I regard as technical with the help of my teachers and senior students in my fashion school.
To advertise myself faster; I always make sure I make anything I want to wear to any gathering I feel I might get potential client. For example, if I have to attend a gathering of university students. .....I would wear something funky and hippy, that I know will appeal to their class.  In same vein...  If I am attending a gathering, of let's say, politicians I would go for something that would appeal to women of that class........



Kemi Mobuse blog: What major challenges have you had to deal with, how did you overcome and more importantly, what can you say, you learnt from them?
 
Dunskani Designs: There are quite a couple of challenges; I can’t even start mentioning everything, 2 stood out though; workers and electricity. Workers come on board, you train them to your taste and once they perfect your ways and routine they are gone.....Only for you to start same process all over......It's exhausting!

For the electricity, even a newborn in this country understand so I am not even going to elaborate on that.
The rest God took care of somehow; but, for those two, I’m still hoping for a miracle.


Kemi Mobuse blog: What is your Favorite part of being a fashion designer?

Dunskani Designs: The expression of excitement that, people around me display especially the clients when they see my work. That's my favorite part.

Kemi Mobuse blog: And the part you dislike most?

Dunskani Designs: The part I dislike the most is; when some of my customers are bent on me copying or lifting styles right from Fashion magazines and they insist on not wanting any alteration.

Kemi Mobuse blog: What can you say you attending a fashion school taught you?
 
Dunskani Designs: Going to a fashion school made me further agree to the saying that....'what is worth doing at all is worth doing well' if you need to acquire a skill.....Go to the proper school for it, no boycotting and trying to get bits and pieces from a half-knowledge  personnel.
 


Kemi Mobuse blog: Any advice for future entrepreneurs?

Dunskani Designs: They should dare to dream and pursue that dream with all the passion they have.
 
Kemi Mobuse blog: Lastly, how can you be contacted?
 
Dunskani Designs: Address is:No 1,ibe ogugua close off ikosi road
Facebook.com/dunskanidesigns
Instagram;@dunskanidesigns
Email; dunskani@gmail.com
Whatsapp or call 08025052775. 

More pictures below:







































  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments