Meet the Successful Nigerian Woman who makes a living selling Coconuts and everything made from it!

By Kemi Mobuse - Thursday, August 16, 2018


YES! YOU CAN BE DIFFERENT! That difference is your selling point!Embrace it!

I've always hated walking into made in Nigeria businesses and being handed a list of 101 services they offer. Listen, if your business is offering more than five services and you’re calling yourselves experts on all of them, you’re lying through your teeth. Funmi Coconuts kept her business model simple. She sold coconuts, and that was it. She didn’t try to get into the Food/events business. She didn’t attempt to sell seafood. She sold coconuts because that’s what she does best.

Funmi is more passionate about coconuts than most parents are about their kids. She knows every single fact, statistic and use a coconut could provide. She ate coconuts and studied coconuts. She used them as a conditioner and body lotion, to rehydrate her skin and made several unique by products from them. When KMB interviewed her, I didn’t feel Funmi was selling coconuts to me. I felt as though she was allowing me the privilege to share in her passion.

Excerpts from her interview below:

KMB: Can you talk a bit about yourself, your background and how you decided to start coconut business?

Funmi Coconuts: I'm TUOYO Funmi by name, a wife, mum and a serial entrepreneur. I studied Computer and Information Technology, then worked in one of this new generation banks for a couple of years before settling for the entrepreneur lifestyle.

After losing my mum to cancer a few years ago, I started a wide research on cancer preventive/management foods and most of my search led me to coconut and its numerous benefits. While at it, I found out that I can also lose weight {which is something I have been battling with} via same coconuts... This motivated me to kick start Funmi Coconuts as a way of helping myself and by extension the world at large.

KMB: Tell us about Funmi COCONUTS – what are your main goals for this brand?

Funmi Coconuts: Funmi Coconuts is an indigenous business which centers on coconut oil and coconut foods production. We aim to breach the gap between the people and unprocessed, unadulterated coconut oil and foods which in turn enhance and promotes good health for all as we don't need to wait till we are 60years and above before making healthy choices.


KMB: Did you ever imagine you would own a brand centered majorly on Coconuts?

Funmi Coconuts: To be honest I never imagined I'd be so passionate about coconuts to own a brand centered ON it but so far it's been amazing.

KMB: Can you talk a bit about your style of making your coconuts by-products?

Funmi Coconuts: One major style I have adapted in production is to ensure we produce all our products strictly from fresh and healthy coconuts only; with the mindset that, only the best is good for our Consumers.

KMB: Your coconuts come in how many by-products and what benefits do they offer?

Funmi Coconuts: Currently we have 6 different coconut products:
·         coconut oil
·         coconut flour
·         coconut fufu
·         coconut amala
·         coconut flakes
·         coconut muffins
We have plans to unveil others before the year runs out. Our products promote healthy living/eating...It cuts across both gender and ages. They aid in weight loss, they are very ideal for diabetics and general foodies also our coconut oil doubles for internal and external uses as it's very perfect for baby's skin, adult skin care, hair care and general body care.

KMB: Which among your products can you say your customers love the most?

Funmi Coconuts: Our Coconut oil is currently our best selling product, followed by our Coconut fufu and coconut flakes.


KMB: You must be an incredibly busy person. What are the challenges that come with running a successful business and raising children?

Funmi Coconuts: I must tell you it's not been easy trying to balance business and family without one affecting the other. Thank God for a very understanding family and the passion I have for my business, I try as much as possible to keep my head above water ☺ Time is currently my major challenge as 24hours sometimes is just not enough.

KMB: Do you think that entrepreneurship is something that is in your blood? Or is it something that can be learned?

Funmi Coconuts: I never pictured myself as an entrepreneur from the onset; so I can’t say I was born with it. It’s however something you can learn. I for one, I'm still learning, unlearning and relearning.

KMB: Is there anyone that you look up to and model yourself on? (You can name more than one)

Funmi Coconuts: There are a lot of people I look up to... Too numerous to mention and they cut across all spheres of life beyond the business world.

KMB: What is the best advice you have ever been given?

Funmi Coconuts: Someone once told me that "The only competition you should have is your reflection in the mirror”....That's both an advice and a motivation that has kept me going.

KMB: Have you any plans (personal or business) that you can share with us about your future plans / goals / lifetime goals?

Funmi Coconuts: I currently have Lots of plans, goals and all but one thing I'd say for now is, I plan on setting up a coconut academy as my dreams unfold gradually.



KMB: What are the biggest lessons you’ve learned, and would pass along to others just getting started in your field?

Funmi Coconuts: I have learnt that it's very okay to start small and I would tell anyone same.

KMB: Lastly, how will you like to be contacted?

Funmi Coconuts: Instagram: @funmicoconuts
                Facebook pag: Funmi coconuts
                Mail: funmicoconutsng@gmail.com
                Instagram: @funmicoconuts
                Call/SMS/Whatsapp: +2348036965028

More pictures of her amazing products below:












  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments